I promised you all this simple tofu recipe! It’s super cheap (yay tofu!), relatively easy and quite delicious! Panko is such a great ingredient and so is tofu – both are so versatile.
You can adjust the seasonings to taste in this recipe. I used an herby seasoned salt, but any kind of herbs and spices combo that you fancy would do.
Mazen first had these at Matt’s house, and when Matt reported that Mazen had loved his “tofu cheese sticks,” I made them for him again the next week. While he didn’t love them as much when I made them (he always eats better for Matt!) he still liked them and ate a few. We are sloooowwwwly emerging out of the super-picky toddler stage. One day at a time!
Here’s the general gist of the recipe:
Slice the drained and dried tofu into strips, like French fries:
Then dip the strips in egg and then panko mix to coat.
Coat the bottom of a pan in safflower oil and then pan-fry the sticks until they are golden brown (about 5 minutes per side.)
Serve plain with ketchup (or tartar sauce! Or a yogurt dipping sauce! Or any other kind of sauce!) or over a salad with some pimento cheese, like I did : )
1 block extra firm tofu
2 cups plain panko bread crumbs
2 eggs, beaten
1 teaspoon each of salt and herbs (to taste!)
Enough safflower oil to cover the bottom of a pan
- Slice tofu into half-inch sticks.
- Beat eggs in a shallow bowl.
- Combine panko, salt, and a few teaspoons of the herbs of your choice in another bowl.
- Heat enough safflower oil to cover the bottom of a pan on medium-high heat.
- Dip tofu sticks in egg and then roll them in panko.
- Fry in oil until golden brown, about five minutes per side.
- Serves 2-4
Source: Pop Sugar