They had no idea. I baked a batch of this delicious just-like-Gramma’s cornbread, and they really had no clue. I mean, it’s so fluffy, moist, and subtly sweet, how could they guess it was made without butter, buttermilk, or white sugar?
Subbing maple syrup for the white stuff lends a subtly sweet, warm flavor, which also keeps this bread so deliciously soft – not at all dry and crumbly. And instead of eggs, there’s protein powder to add even more protein – almost five grams per serving.
If you can throw ingredients in a bowl, you can make this cornbread. It’s really one of the easiest recipes you’ll ever make, and you probably already have these ingredients in your kitchen. This cornbread is great on its own, smeared with a little Earth Balance or homemade jam, or dunked into your famous bowl of chili.
If you prefer sweeter cornbread, feel free to add more maple syrup; up to one-half cup.
1 cup cornmeal
1 cup white whole wheat flour
1 scoop protein powder (I used vanilla Vega Protein Powder)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 cup applesauce
1 cup unsweetened soy milk
1/3 cup maple syrup
4 tablespoons canola or coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Lightly oil an eight-inch square pan.
- Combine the cornmeal, flour, protein powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl; stir in the applesauce, soy milk, maple syrup, and oil until smooth.
- Pour the batter into the pan.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out dry.
Below is the nutritional info if you cut yours into 16 squares:
Below is the nutritional info if you cut yours into 12 squares:
Below is the nutritional info if you cut yours into 9 squares:
Source: Calorie Count
- Desserts, Cake
- 9, 12, or 16 squares, depending on how small you cut them
- Cook Time
- 15 mins
- Calories per serving
- 89, 119, or 158
Source: Pop Sugar