Green bean casserole is one of those comforting and nostalgic recipes that always had a home at my Thanksgiving table. But between the fried topping, condensed soup mix, and canned beans, the original leaves lots to be desired if you’re looking for a healthful option. In this fresh and tasty casserole from Bobby Deen’s show Not My Momma’s Meals, panko and parmesan cheese offer a healthier revamp of french-fried onions, and the addition of mushrooms ups the veg factor. I’m thrilled to say it: this significantly less weighty version is even better than the original.
Nonstick cooking spray, for greasing
5 cups sliced green beans
4 1/4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 cup panko breadcrumbs
1 cup grated parmesan
1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons canola oil
1 1/2 cups diced onions
2 cups sliced baby bella mushrooms
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
1/2 teaspoon House Seasoning, recipe follows
1/2 teaspoon salt
For house seasoning:
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 1 1/2 quart baking dish with nonstick spray.
- Boil the green beans in the chicken broth for about 20 minutes, and then drain, reserving 1 1/2 cups of the chicken broth.
- Meanwhile, mix together the breadcrumbs, parmesan, and 2 teaspoons of the oil in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Saute the onions until translucent, 2 to 3 minutes, and then add the mushrooms and continue to cook for 3 to 4 minutes longer. Remove from the heat.
- Pour the reserved 1 1/2 cups chicken broth back into the pot that the green beans boiled in, and bring to a boil. Add the green beans to the skillet with the mushrooms and onions.
- While that is coming to a boil, combine the cornstarch and 1/4 cup water in a small bowl to make a slurry. Slowly pour the slurry into the boiling broth, whisking constantly as it thickens, about 2 minutes.
- Pour the thickened mixture over the green beans, mushrooms, and onions. Add the sour cream, house seasoning, and salt. Stir well.
- Pour into the baking dish and sprinkle with the panko-and-cheese mixture. Bake until the casserole is hot, about 10 minutes, and then broil until the breadcrumb topping is slightly browned, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Side Dishes
- 6 servings
Source: Pop Sugar